Re: Howto install for clients on the server ?

Thomas,
     It's actually quite simple to do an rpm install in a diskless
environment.  If you
take a look at the open source code I've released, at:

oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux/projects/lui/

and download the tar file, you'll have the code I use to install my systems.  Specificially
look in the "clone" script, the install_rpm subroutine.  Basically, you must:

mount the file system that contains the rpms to install via NFS from server to client
mount the partitions where you want the rpms to get installed
mount the root partition from your harddrive, say over /mnt
mount all the other partitions from your harddrive, say, as /mnt/boot, /mnt/var, /mnt/usr, /mnt/home
use "rpm -r /mnt" to show that your root partition is at /mnt; rpm will install into your
     permanent file systems on the harddrive
It's easiest if you put all the rpms that you want to install on the rpm command line, this way
     rpm will figure out the dependencies, as in:

     rpm -r /mnt -Uvh package1.rpm package2.rpm ..... package99.rpm

If you install a kernel, and a lilo.conf file, you also must run lilo, again with the -r flag, to specify
the real root file system.

     Post again if you have any problems ;-)

Rich

Richard Ferri