Re: Beginner troubles!

On Fri, 3 Apr 98 17:35:10 -0800, you wrote:

>Thomas M. writes:
> > Hi all
> >
> >  I have just been playing around with the etherboot package (also
> > looked at netboot, but it's rom footprint is too large). And now
> > i can get the thing to get it's ip address from bootp on my linux
> > server.
> >  But that's about it... When it comes to booting, the tftp complains
> > about access rights (error code 2).
> >  The bootptab is setup acording to the doc's that i could find:
> >
> > .default:\
> >   :ds=192.168.0.1:\
> >   :dn=thor.org:\
> >   :sm=255.255.255.0:\
> >   :gw=192.168.0.1:\
> >   :ht=ethernet:\
> >   :to=-18000:\
> >   :hd=/remote:\
> >   :vm=auto:
> >
> > term1.thor.org:ha=0000c01316d0:tc=.default:bf=dos
>                                              ^^^^^^
>
>Either try changing the bootfile to /remote/dos or tell your TFTP

I use "hd=/tftpboot" and "bf=bootImage", which works. When using the "hd"
tag, it seems that this path is used for all "bf" tags (but NOT for the
T192ff. tags when using bootmenus !!).

>daemon to chroot() into the /remote directory before serving the
>file. The latter is actually preferable, since it prevents nasty
>security problems.

Yes, I think he has to provide this path to his tftpd by writing it into his
inetd.conf, like
"tftp dgram udp wait nobody /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.tftpd /remote"
(this paths would apply to a RH4.2 system)

--
Dieter Rothacker