Re: Beginner troubles!

Hi Thomas,

> But that's about it... When it comes to booting, the tftp complains
>about access rights (error code 2).
> The bootptab is setup acording to the doc's that i could find:
>
>.default:\
>  :ds=192.168.0.1:\
>  :dn=thor.org:\
>  :sm=255.255.255.0:\
>  :gw=192.168.0.1:\
>  :ht=ethernet:\
>  :to=-18000:\
>  :hd=/remote:\
>  :vm=auto:
>
>term1.thor.org:ha=0000c01316d0:tc=.default:bf=dos
>
>and the permisions on both /remote and /remote/dos is world readable,
>owned by root user, and the user group.
>
> Oh yeah. It's an old 286 i'm trying to get to boot a (small) opendos
>7.02 image (which should run kermit, and function as a terminal on the
>network)....

That should be doable. I have booted OpenDOS to run print servers on
286s.  Check that tftpd is running and that you have specified /remote
as the home directory with -s (the RH version at least). The default is
/tftpboot I believe.

Normally tftpd is run as an ordinary user and not root so it doesn't
do a chroot, but what it does is check the pathname requested against
the allowed directories, at the same time screening out things like ..
If /remote is not on the list of allowed directories, permission is
denied.

Please look over the troubleshooting hints in

	http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/doc/html/README.html

and let me know if I have missed anything. Test out 4.0pre7 too if
you can.

	Ken