Re: Support for DHCP?

At 10:22 PM 1/8/98 +1100, you wrote:
>I'm using Etherboot with bootp-2.4.3 which has some DHCP features.
>Works fine. I believe it should work but check the DHCP FAQ:
>
>            http://web.syr.edu/~jmwobus/comfaqs/dhcp.faq.html

Ken,

One thing that i forgot to mention is that for this little experiment,
i'm trying out the Windows NT Server which has DHCP servicing
capability and i've ported the BSD's tftpd over to Win32 codes.

I'm not sure whether Linux has a seperate DHCP damone besides the
bootpd.  If so, would running *just* the dhcpd (and disabling bootpd) and
tftpd will allow either Netboot or Etherboot to work properly?

I've taken a look at CMU's bootpd and tried to port it over to Win32
but it seems bootpd is *more* involved that tftpd.  tftpd seems very
straight forward to implement.  But since Windows NT already has
DHCP i wouldn't mind trying out the DHCP server.

I've been told that Windows NT DHCP does have some support for BOOTP
and i'm looking into that now.

>Of course if you hand out a dynamic IP address, you will have to be
>prepared later on if the client asks to mount a NFS partition which
>has the IP address in the directory path.

Yes and you are right.

Regards,

-gshin