Re: Support for DHCP?

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, George Shin wrote:

> At 10:22 PM 1/8/98 +1100, you wrote:
> >I'm using Etherboot with bootp-2.4.3 which has some DHCP features.
> >Works fine. I believe it should work but check the DHCP FAQ:
The DHCP features in bootp-2.4 are very limited and you're still using the
bootp protocol.

> >            http://web.syr.edu/~jmwobus/comfaqs/dhcp.faq.html
> >
> Ken,
>
> One thing that i forgot to mention is that for this little experiment,
> i'm trying out the Windows NT Server which has DHCP servicing
> capability and i've ported the BSD's tftpd over to Win32 codes.
>
> I'm not sure whether Linux has a seperate DHCP damone besides the
> bootpd.  If so, would running *just* the dhcpd (and disabling bootpd) and
> tftpd will allow either Netboot or Etherboot to work properly?

The ISC release of DHCP ( see http://www.isc.org/dhcp.html ) is working
just fine on Linux, but you're still using the bootp protocol for
assigning the addresses with Etherboot, until someone will add the dhcp
part to the Etherboot and Netboot code.

> I've taken a look at CMU's bootpd and tried to port it over to Win32
> but it seems bootpd is *more* involved that tftpd.  tftpd seems very
> straight forward to implement.  But since Windows NT already has
> DHCP i wouldn't mind trying out the DHCP server.
>
> I've been told that Windows NT DHCP does have some support for BOOTP
> and i'm looking into that now.
>
> >Of course if you hand out a dynamic IP address, you will have to be
> >prepared later on if the client asks to mount a NFS partition which
> >has the IP address in the directory path.
> >
> Yes and you are right.
You will also have to use a DHCP client in the OS you boot for renewing
the address lease, unless you have very long leases or you don't mind
getting 2 computers with the same IP address :-)

> Regards,
>
> -gshin

Vlad