Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Problem with new version of imggen for 3com 905C

On 3/9/01 3:06 PM Jim McQuillan jam@McQuil.com wrote:
>2)  Kernel driver.  Either 3c59x.c or 3c90x.c.  It's
>    worth trying the 3c90x.c to see if it helps.  You
>    can get that from 3com.  Look for the link on
>    the www.scyld.com site.
>I suppose that there is a chance that using different
>bootcode could help the 'Neighbour table overflow' problem.
>It was suggested a couple of days ago that someone try
>modifying the Etherboot driver to disable the card before
>handing control over to the kernel.  I haven't had a chance
>to try that.

I did some research on this issue, and is is not an Etherboot driver
issue.

Check out:

   http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/vortex-bug/2001-February/thread.html

and this message:

   http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/vortex-bug/2001-February/000970.html

If you're using a 2.2.x kernel, you'll need to download new kernel driver
code from:

   http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/3c59x.c-2.2.19pre11.gz

Which is said to fix the problem with the 3c905cx issues.  (usually
you'll find the file on your system in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/).

I am broadcasting this information widely, since there have been quite a
few messages on this topic.

In summary, if you're using 3c905cx boards with Linux kernel 2.2.x you'll
need to update and recompile your kernel or you may get the infamous
"Neighbour table overflow" bug in some instances.

---
    Try: http://rom-o-matic.net/ to make Etherboot images instantly.

   Name: Marty Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/