re:help w a packard bell

Hi,

 > The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS.
> There is an error in your Config. Sys file on line 1
> Microsoft (R) Mouse Driver Version 8.20
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1983-1992.  All rights reserved.
> Mouse Driver installed
> Power IDE! ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM Driver Ver 2.14**LG Electronics INC. **
> Copyright (C) 1994-95 Future Domain Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
> The following file is missing or corrupted:C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS
> The following file is missing or corrupted:C:\Windows\DBLBUFF.SYS
> The following file is missing or corrupted:C:\Windows\IFSHLP.SYS
> Warning: the high memory area (HMA) is not available.
> Additional low memory (below 640 K) will be used instead
> Cannot find Win.Com, unable to continue loading Windows.
> C:\ >
I think the simplest way is to try installing windows 98 from the CD. If that
is not possible, himem.sys may be copied from some windows machine on a floppy
and put into your windows directory should solve the problem. Machine will
start up even if the other files are missing, I suppose. HMA is handled by
himem.sys

> I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or comments you have. Also, do you
> recommend any repair books on fixing PCs? BTW, Do you have a list of
> acronyms, or place where I can find a list?

Try Linux. I was using DOS and windows from 1986(PC 8088 4MHz !!) to 1995 when
one of my friends introduced me to Linux. Wha, what a difference it made in my
life! Linux has a full documentation system - tells you all you need to know
about your computer and more over, now a days, installing linux is at least as
simple as installing windows. Forget ms windows, DOS is a good (better) product
I would say :-)

Cheers,

-Sajith

--
| Ninan Sajeeth Philip                                          |