Klaus Espenlaub wrote:

> Michael Agbaglo wrote:
> >
> > When I boot the floppy I get

> > 1000
> > AX:0211
> > BX:0000
> > CX:0000
> > DX:0000.
>
> This indicates that the floppy disk used is having read errors.  It seems
> to be able to read the sectors eventually, but it needs several tries.  Use
> a different floppy.  If that doesn't help, you need a new floppy drive.

You are right ! With a new floppy these problems were gone...

> > the block w/ the numbers is repeated sometimes more sometimes less. When
> > it succeeds more points in the DX: line are displayed.
> > Then the driver installs and displays a copyright notice.
> > The driver has no problem to talk to the DHCP server. But it's not able
> > to load the kernel.
>
> Any reasonable error message here?  Any log entry on the server?  A last
> try would be to use a packet sniffer...
>
> > tftp works on the OS server (locally) and on machines which are on the
> > same segment.
> >
> > I'm using
> >
> > ASUS P55T2P4
> > 3COM 905-TX (bootrom socket empty)
> > Etherboot 4.2.13 - I can't use 4.6.2 because my C compiler is too old. I
> > compiled the 4.6.2 at a friends machine but no .rom file was
> > generated...
>
> What error messages were printed?  It should compile with fairly old tools,
> but this is rarely tested...

On the client:

Searching for server (DHCP) ...
Me: 10.0.0.3, Server 10.0.0.5, Relay: 0.0.0.0, Gateway: 10.0.0.1
Unable to load file.
Unable to load file.
 .
 .
 .

No error messages on the server. tftpd reports success.

snoop died (segmentation fault), tcpdump's dump is > 2MB, I didn't see
anything unusual. I can mail it to you, I don't think it makes sense to
send it to the mailing list.

I exchanged tftpd and inetd. Sometimes I got an error message from tftp
(invoked manually...): sendto: Connection refused.
Sometimes tftpd doesn't terminate. I couldn't figure out why...