309x: Unable to load file

When I boot the floppy I get

1000
AX:0211
BX:0000
CX:0000
DX:0000.

the block w/ the numbers is repeated sometimes more sometimes less. When
it succeeds more points in the DX: line are displayed.
Then the driver installs and displays a copyright notice.
The driver has no problem to talk to the DHCP server. But it's not able
to load the kernel.
tftp works on the OS server (locally) and on machines which are on the
same segment.

I'm using

ASUS P55T2P4
3COM 905-TX (bootrom socket empty)
Etherboot 4.2.13 - I can't use 4.6.2 because my C compiler is too old. I
compiled the 4.6.2 at a friends machine but no .rom file was
generated...