Re: appropriate code for a GRUB-specific option

You are right with your consideration. This could be a bad idea.
On the other hand, we violate an other idea !
Only the 'menu.lst'-file should configure which OS, which root paths,
etc. The bootptab or the dhcp configuration only should define
which machine which ip-address and which 'menu.lst' file the machine
gets.

The root path of the linux is then specified in 'menu.lst':

	kernel /tftpboot/machine1/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/nfs
		nfsroot=/tftpboot/machine1/root

In this way. 'nfsroot' can also include the server like
	kernel ---"---  nfsroot=199.1.1.20:/tftpboot/machine1/root

Because if I want to boot different versions of Linux or Unix-like-OSs
then it is not a good idea to define the root path via the 'rp=' !!

This is my opinion.
With friendly regards

	Christoph Plattner

private:	christoph.plattner@dot.at