mknbi-linux: Kernel image too large

Hello,

I have recently downloaded the netboot package from
ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-powerpc/net
and tried to build a netbootable kernel for a Motorola MVME2600/2300
(PowerPC 604) embedded VMEbus processor. My development system is a
MVME2600;
hard disk based and running Linux 2.2.12/Debian.

My ultimate aim is to build an image consisting of a kernel and a
RAM-disk for booting a number of diskless processors (MVME2300) without
having to have client specific root file systems on the server (i.e. I
want to put the specific files into the RAM-disk and mount the generic
rest via NFS).

So far, I have built a kernel for my platform following the usual path
(make
xconfig; make dep; make zImage). Then I put this kernel on my bootp
server (a SUN) and booted it successfully on the MVME2600 via
bootp/tftp. The root file
system, however, still gets mounted from a local hard disk.

Then, I took the zImage (583906 bytes) that (net)boots OK on the
MVME2600 and
run the command
  mknbi-linux -d rom -i rom -k zImage -o testImage

The result was the error message
  mknbi-linux: Kernel image too large

However mknbi-linux generated the file testImage (588800 bytes). When I
tried to netboot testImage nothing happened on the 2600.

As I could not find this error mentioned in the documentation, I would
be very grateful if somebody could give me some hints.

Thank you,

  Markus Joos

(markus.joos@cern.ch)

CERN