compile Bootrom binaries

I am attempting to compile new bootrom binaries for netboot with a
shorter TFTP_TIMEOUT value. I have tried the procedure on RedHat v5.2
and 6.1 with the same (poor) results. Thus far I have used netboot
0.8.1 and 0.9.0e and the ELKS Dev86 0.15.0. Once I make the changes
(or even if I make NO changes) and remake the bootrom binaries, I am
unable to create a working netboot disk. Netboot will recognize the
server, obtain its ipaddress and hostname, recognize the tagged image,
hesitate a few seconds and halt with a "Loader error 20" or with the
error "ARP timeout"

Is this a problem with the Dev86 bundle? Note that the error occurs
even if no changes have been made in the bootrom config files. The
only way to create a working netboot floppy that I have discovered
thus far is to restore the old bootrom binaries.

Kent