Re: Booting until "TFTP: Too many Packages"

Hello Bernd,

Wednesday, February 16, 2000, 12:32:59 AM, you wrote:

BS> I'm trying to get a embedded PC board with Intel PXE-2.0 Lan Boot Rom
BS> booting. It should run Linux and the Host PC is WinNT Workstation. As
BS> Bootp/DHCP Server I use HeHa's DHCP Server (www.heha.cjb.net). (Is
BS> there any free bootp Server, that is working with this PXE-2.0 Bios? I
BS> tried one or two, but couldn't get them working).

I'm not familiar with PXE-2.0 so use ne.rom bootprom (from Etherboot
package) added as a BIOS extension to our SBC's flash. Alternatively
it could be burnt into NIC's eprom. On NT side I use Tellurian's
bootp server (www.tellurian.au.com). Other bootp/dhcp servers you
could find at ftp.cabletron.com/pub/snmp/bootftp/boottft2.zip,
www.metainfo.com, www.nts.com.

BS> lilo. In the ramdisk is my complete Linux system so that the size of
BS> the file is about 3.7 MB. I tried some smaller files and it looks like
BS> that the files have to be smaller than 500kb, what is the reason for
BS> that?

My 2.0.36/libc diskless distro image (kernel plus root fs in ramdisk) is
about 1.5MB. When it boots it gets you to the point when you can mount
remote file system from NT via smbfs and than run X, Java, whatever
from that NT. Newer 2.2.x/glibc is significantly larger - ~3.5MB.
Still it gets loaded without a hinch.

BS> I heard about another way of booting the system image through a
BS> bootstrap method, can you tell me a HowTo, in case my own solution
BS> with the 3.7MB file will not work?

A number of very good docs are in Etherboot package at
www.slug.org.au/etherboot. You might also find useful my "Diskless
From NT Mini-HOWTO" at www.geocities.com/ptkatch/disklessfromnt.htm.

Best regards,
 Pavel                            mailto:ptkatcho@portal.ca