Re: More ammunition ... was Re: Making a floppy fails?

Gerald> No problem, although I don't want to attach something that big
Gerald> to a message. Would you prefer private e-mail or do you have
Gerald> another suggestion?

I've managed to get something working with a ne2k PCI card... so...

Gerald> Well, I figured it was a kernel problem, so I tried to rebuild
Gerald> my kernel.  This is circa 2.2.X, and I couldn't seem to get it
Gerald> going. :-( I then moved along to a more current 3.X kernel,
Gerald> built (seemingly) with all the proper options, including
Gerald> ELF. Etherboot works great, and I still end up with a panic
Gerald> mounting root. I managed to weed my way through some of the
Gerald> errors, but haven't gotten a clean boot yet. FWIW, "swapsize"
Gerald> above is expected to be a 4 byte quantity (but I'm not sure
Gerald> what it's units are, or what base it's in). I'm just trying to
Gerald> sort out a swap problem now.

I found that you only need option-129 (130 and 131 don't need to be
specified), but isc-dhcp version 2 doesn't deliver option-129
(verified with tcpdump).  The version 3 beta delivers it correctly.
The following isc-dhcp config will boot 3.4 or 4.0

option domain-name "velocet.ca";
option domain-name-servers sabre.velocet.ca, cutlass.velocet.ca;
max-lease-time 3600;
default-lease-time 1800;
allow bootp;

subnet <ip> netmask 255.255.255.240 {
  option routers <router ips>
  host repeat { hardware ethernet 0:60:67:8:cf:ae;
                filename "/tftpboot/kernel.repeat";
                option option-128 "<ip of server>:/u4";
                option root-path "<ip of server>:/";
                fixed-address repeat; }