DFE530-TX PCI: Cannot access EPROM, romcheck weirdness

Hi folks,

I have the above mentioned card. I have booted the system (into Linux)
for some time now using the Netboot Floppy. Now I've installed a Boot
Rom, but I still need to use the Floppy since the BIOS does not find
the Boot Rom.

OK. Next I have started romcheck. romcheck does not find the EPROM at
all. The funny thing is, that romcheck does not find ANY real EPROM
(it shows some ROM's, but I'm pretty sure, that those are spurious
since they have a size of only 2-4K). Romcheck certainly does not find
the ROM of my Graphics Card or the SCSI Controller. It displays the
corresponding addresses as used in the physical memory map but does
not identify the ROM's.

The MB is one of the first Pentium boards with PCI Bus. The Graphics
and SCSI Bios are certainly working even though romcheck does not find
them.

If I only watch the physical memory map, I find, that the display
changes, when I remove the SCSI Controller, but no change when I
remove the Network card. So I concluded, I have to enable the EPROM on
the Network card. Only, the Card does not have any jumpers, the Manual
says nothing about the use of Boot ROM's and I have found no
configuration Utility on the Driver Floppy. I checked with the
Manufacturer's Home page (www.dlink.com). The only relevant thing was a
program CHECKROM.EXE, which crashes when started :-(

Since I don't have an EPROM burner (I had the EPROM burned at an
electronics shop), I cannot check easily whether the EPROM was burned
correctly.

I certainly checked the obvious causes: Chip orientation, Chip firm in
socket, Card firm in socket, ... Any further hints?

Stefan.