Re: Diskless Network - /me confused

Ken Yap wrote:

> > Hmm.. I think that I've seen something about clients sharing the same
> >/etc directory. The files which where different from client to client, had
> >the client name appended to the filename, in some sort. I just can't
> >remember where I saw this information...
>
> It's the transname patch, you can find it or a reference to it in the
> Etherboot distribution under contrib/. I guess it was something that
> was considered not suitable for mainstream kernels.
>
> Personally I think the problem might be better addressed by a union or
> translucent filesystem: mount the shared parts, then the client specific
> parts on top of that.

You might just as well have a prototype /etc/ with symbolic links to the
client specific non-shared /etc.  After all none of the source
directories have to be mounted using the same name they happen to be
defined with in the native fs.  Realistically you could prototype the
whole OS fs tree and using symbolic links you would functionally have
your translucent fs.  You could even script the process and used some
sort of administrative configuration file to manage the whole thing from
the master server.

-Jonathan-
[who is re-living the nightname called tulip.c]