strange problem with MS Client 3.0

netboot: 0.8.1, debian linux, kernel 2.0.36
ethernet card in the client: KTI KF-221TX/2 (Digital 21143)

I'd like to boot an MS-DOS based client from the linux and make
it log on to a Windows NT domain via TCP/IP. The card with the
bootrom works fine, I can fire up the workstation without network
support. I installed the MS client with TCP/IP support and placed
on a boot floppy. I was able to boot the workstation from this
floppy and log on to the domain. I made the boot image from the
floppy with mknbi-dos, and tried to boot the machine. Strange
things happened... the workstation booted, TCP/IP started and it
was'nt able to log on the domain. I can ping just the workstation
itself, nothing else, the net view command did not show any
available network resources.

I made the image again with the -c switch of mknbi-dos (simulate
harddisk) and the workstation booted fine! The only problem with
this solution that I need to access the c: drive! BTW is it
possibble to map the ramdisk to a letter other than a: or c: ?

any idea?

thanks,
kz