Re: netboot via BOOTP

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_Jun_19_10:19:14_1997-1

Ben Leung writes:
 > > >I'm trying to use netboot to boot a 386 using BOOTP.  But the boot
 > > >process stops after the root filesystem is mounted via NFS.  On the
 > > >server side, I got the following message:
 > > >
 > > >       tftpd: read: Connection refused
 > > >
 > > >I wonder whether it has anything to do with the bootrom.  Right now my
 > >
 > > No, it looks like you have some security wall on the server. Check that
 > > the diskless client is allowed to fetch files with tftp. Maybe you have
 > > tcpwrappers running?
 >
 > Yeah, it looks like it's a security problem.  But I got another message
 > before that one displayed:
 >
 > 	tftpd: trying to get file /tftpboot/bootImage
 >
 > To me, the 386 is able to get the boot image (or at least part of the
 > boot image), because it does uncompress the kernel.  It just never
 > finished.  If it's a security issue of tftp, what controls it?  How can
 > I find out whether I have tcpwrappers running or not?

Try running a TFTP client from some other machine and check if it
completes and properly downloads the correct file. If that works, then
your problem must be something else. Actually, the fact that you see
the kernel booting suggest, that your problem is not at all related to
TFTP. You might have a misconfigured system, that fails to mount the
root filesystem or does not find all neccessary files on the root
filesystem. If Linux has successfully come up, then check which of
your processes are running. At the very least, you should see
"init". I cannot check right now, but I believe SCROLLOCK plus some
modifier key (alt, shift, control, ... ?) lists all of the current
processes.

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_Jun_19_10:19:14_1997-1

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBM6lqExqJqDLErwMxAQEjZAP+KXiu2OmcVJbSfc5OxVHr6SdhzBOkp88Q
R4pD+kL2WyR/zTFnm8N9ercxT2nGACNI+NiAsLg3DZX2rs9RYPDVfqCwEpKYCdGI
dOUPO+BXidL6QfKx/pli4hN6BVSNxzZl9QfUOJbFxLVZpYVH+EM2djuj7YnNbxdp
0MJjNRb0Y1U=
=xyAJ
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_Jun_19_10:19:14_1997-1--