Re: Booting with PCI NE2k

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Harald Brueckner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use etherboot for many of my terminals without a problem but now I run into a
> problem which I can not solve and I did not even found any note about it in
> newsgroups or search engines.
>
> One of my terminals now got a PCI ethernet card which works fine if I boot Linux
> from bootdisks. Just the boot loader can't detect the card.
>
> It is a NE2k clone (and Linux detects it as a NE2k card) and it even has a PROM
> socket but it gets not detected by any boot loader I tried.

The boot loader? Is that lilo that you are using? If you are, have you
tried specifying the port, irq, etc. on the command line? That may do the
trick. There is a howto for ethernets and linux. I happen to have a copy
that I am attaching that may prove helpful. There is probably a more
up-to-date version somewhere.

> I think the problem comes from the I/O port which gets automatically set to
> 0xe400 (by the PCI BIOS) with this PCI card (at least in my special case).
> With ISA cards I/O is defined from 0x0000 - 0x1fff I think. Just PCI moves that
> I/O ports to that high addresses. :-/
>
> Has anyone an idea how this card could be used with a boot loader?

Did the card come with a floopy to perhaps set the card's settings. I've
dealt with a host of NE2000s and they all had such a disk.

> Harry

May help, may not. Hope it does.

joel