Re: Any way to boot pxelinux.0 without a PXE BIOS?

Hello,

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 03:25:00 +0200, h wrote:
> I would like to be able to boot pxelinux.0 as a second stage boot loader
> on machines which don't have a PXE BIOS (namely, within a VMware guest
> machine). Etherboot and netboot don't seem to be able to because
> pxelinux.0 is no tagged kernel image.

With netboot that's not a problem. Since version 0.9 netboot
supports booting PXE boot images. That's the way I'm network
booting FreeBSD currently. Just provide your file pxelinux.0
as a boot image file to your DHCP server, and it should then
work. However, for network booting Linux I would strongly
recommend to not use the PXE booting mechanism but rather
make your Linux kernel a tagged image file, and then use
either netboot or etherboot to boot it.

gero.

--
Gero Kuhlmann             Tollenbrink 18      Groote Gracht 33
gero@gkminix.han.de       30659 Hannover      26723 Emden