Re: Posting to netboot mailing list

Hello,

michael@stud.uni-hannover.de (Michael Riepe) wrote in
20021129142406.54834@thrai.stud.uni-hannover.de:">news:20021129142406.54834@thrai.stud.uni-hannover.de:
> [...]
>> Should we restrict posting access to subscribed
>> members only again? Any other ideas of reducing the amount of spam on
>> the list? (No, it's not an option to install a spam filter on the
>> list server).
>
> Yes, yes, yes!
>
> I guess you know that all the spam will hit your mailbox, then?

Most of the spam mails already hit my mailbox, because they get filtered
out by majordomo for their size being too large. If we block the list so
that only subscribed members can post, the smaller spam mails will also
come to me, but that's not a problem: they don't take up much of my
bandwidth (the large spam mails are taking my bandwidth, but I get those
already), and they will be filtered out by my personal spam blocker.

One suggestion I received by personal mail is to allow posting to the
list only by members, but for all others to provide a password. This
password can be published on the netboot web site, and by a mail into
the mailing list once a month or so. It has to appear first in the
subject header field. If this password is correct, the mail is approved
for the mailing list even if the sender is not a member of the list. I
will still have to check if this can be implemented with majordomo. The
password needs to be changed only if a spammer starts using it.

It looks like many people do like access for subscribed-only members, so
I will implement this as soon as possible.

gero.

--
Gero Kuhlmann, gkminix, Germany
Tollenbrink 18, 30659 Hannover             gero@gkminix.han.de