Re: More: cromutil hangs when flashing 3C905C-TXM

Marty Connor wrote:

> On 4/23/01 9:43 AM Heinrich Rebehn rebehn@comm.uni-bremen.de wrote:
> >> I have been using cromutil successfully fro quite some time with
> >> 3C905C-TX NICs.
> >> Today i tried to program a 3C905C-TXM and cromutil hangs. I am using
> >> cromutil from etherboot 4.7.22, older versions did not work either.
>
> >The card has an ATMEL AT 49BV512 flash rom.
> >I was able to read the original contents with cromutil (at least the
> >resulting file contains the text strings shown at power up).
> >I was also able to erase the flash rom - reading it again showed all
> >zeroes.
> >When programming, cromutil loops forever verifying the rom contents,
> >which is always zero (while (inb(ioaddr+0x8) != b);).
> >Manufacturer and device id is shown as zero, BIOS reports 10B7 9200.
> >Any more info required?
>
> I have not heard any other reports of problems of this type, so I would
> suspect a problem with your machine or NIC.  The possibilities that come
> to mind are:
>
>   - Damaged card: Flash memory chip damaged or encoding circuitry broken.
>
>   - IO Addr. conflict on your machine.  Have you tried removing all other
> cards so there is less possibility of IO Address conflict?  Try doing
>
>      cat /proc/pci
>
> or running a DOS PCI scanner to see what IRQs and addresses are in use.
> this would also explain why PCI IDs are no accessible.  Have you tried
> this card on another machine?  Have you tried programming another card in
> this machine?  Could you have miss-typed the ioaddr for this card
> somehow?  It is saying that it doesn't see a card at that IO Addr.
>
> Those are some ideas that come to mind.  I hope it helps.  Please let us
> know how it goes.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marty

Hi Marty,

thanks for your help.

The card is actually broken, altough it is brandnew! I tried another one
and had no problem getting manufacturer and device id and i was also
able to program it.

I do not believe there were any resource conflicts with the first card
because i was able to read and erase it. Only programming did not work.
Also, /proc/pci showed the card with correct addr/irq and device id.

Thank you!

Heinrich Rebehn
                        "Have disk - will travel"
University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

E-mail: mailto:rebehn@comm.uni-bremen.de
Phone : +49/421/218-4664