Re: More: cromutil hangs when flashing 3C905C-TXM

On 4/23/01 9:43 AM Heinrich Rebehn rebehn@comm.uni-bremen.de wrote:
>> I have been using cromutil successfully fro quite some time with
>> 3C905C-TX NICs.
>> Today i tried to program a 3C905C-TXM and cromutil hangs. I am using
>> cromutil from etherboot 4.7.22, older versions did not work either.

>The card has an ATMEL AT 49BV512 flash rom.
>I was able to read the original contents with cromutil (at least the
>resulting file contains the text strings shown at power up).
>I was also able to erase the flash rom - reading it again showed all
>zeroes.
>When programming, cromutil loops forever verifying the rom contents,
>which is always zero (while (inb(ioaddr+0x8) != b);).
>Manufacturer and device id is shown as zero, BIOS reports 10B7 9200.
>Any more info required?

I have not heard any other reports of problems of this type, so I would
suspect a problem with your machine or NIC.  The possibilities that come
to mind are:

  - Damaged card: Flash memory chip damaged or encoding circuitry broken.

  - IO Addr. conflict on your machine.  Have you tried removing all other
cards so there is less possibility of IO Address conflict?  Try doing

     cat /proc/pci

or running a DOS PCI scanner to see what IRQs and addresses are in use.
this would also explain why PCI IDs are no accessible.  Have you tried
this card on another machine?  Have you tried programming another card in
this machine?  Could you have miss-typed the ioaddr for this card
somehow?  It is saying that it doesn't see a card at that IO Addr.

Those are some ideas that come to mind.  I hope it helps.  Please let us
know how it goes.

Regards,

Marty

---
    Try: http://rom-o-matic.net/ to make Etherboot images instantly.

   Name: Marty Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/