loss of arp entry during tftp exchange

Wasn't sure whether to post this on netboot mailing list or linux-fai.

I am configuring pc to boot from dhcpd/bootp server and boot 2.2.17 kernel
with the intention to use Thomas Lange's fai package.  However the
installimage file is too big for a tftp transfer.  So I tried compiling a
smaller kernel image.

I made a zImage of the kernel and did a :
mknbi-linux -k zImage -o bootImage

When I boot the client pc (which has Intel EtherExpress/pro100b) it picks up
and IP address okay, but immediately after initiating tftp transfer the
server loses the arp entry of the client pc.  I tried both from dhcpd and
bootp.

Debugging bootp from within tcp wrappers shows that "someone wants tftp"

tcpdump shows a tftp request from the client.

Also syslog shows that the client finds the file bootImage okay.

What am I doing wrong here?