Re: loss of arp entry during tftp exchange

Matt,
This might be totally irrelevant, but I had a problem with eepro100 not
long ago, and got help from the venerable Donald Becker himself.

The problem I saw was that the adapter broadcast its ethernet MAC address,
which was correctly answered by dhcp on the server.  Then, later during
install, the adapter on the client broadcast *a different* MAC address.
Yes, this card appeared to have two MAC addresses.  To get around the
problem, I put a second entry in /etc/dhcpd.conf, one for each of the MAC
addresses, and things went swimmingly after that.

You're no doubt wondering how an ethernet card has two MAC addresses, as
did I.  I posted to the eepro100 mailing list, and Donald Becker responded
that I had to pick up the latest ethernet device driver.   Apparently my
particular adapter had more memory than other eepro100 adapters, and as a
result the device driver read code (instructions!) instead of the actual
MAC address the second time.  You might check to make sure that the adapter
is broadcasting the same MAC both times.  If that isn't the case, I would
post to the eepro100 mailing list, to get advice from the eepro100 experts.
I think the address of the list is eepro100@scyld.com.  I think you just
send a note to majordomo@scyld.com with 'subscribe eepro100' in the body of
the note, and that should get you started.

regards, Rich

Richard Ferri
IBM Linux Technology Center
rcferri@us.ibm.com