WOL problem with 3C905C-TX-M

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with the Wake up on Lan Function of a 3C905C-TX-M. I use a
Gigabyte GA-7VXE7+ Mainboard and here the WOL is off after connecting the
main power cable. The PC is not reacting on any WOL packet. If I switch on
the PC for about 1 second and switch it off again, the PC is starting with
WOL. If I send another WOL packet during the BIOS messages (about 5 to 26
seconds after poweron), the WOL line of the ethernetcard changes to high and
stays there. Afterward no poweroff is possible. The powerswitch is not
working and even Windows 98 can't switch off the powersupply after shutdown
(The screen is black and the power still on). If I switch off the computer
during the etherboot menu or during a Windows 98 session or shutdown a linux
with /sbin/poweroff, the computer won't start on a WOL packet. WOL is only
working after I switched off the PC during the BIOS messages (memorytest
etc) or after a correct Windows 98 shutdown. In all other cases the WOL
hardware line from the network card to the mainboard is not changing to high
level afterwards.
Is there a patch to initialise the 3COM card for WOL during etherboot or
before the /sbin/poweroff, so that the PC is reacting on WOL packets
afterwards or do I have to buy other cards?
The rest (diskless booting with a little etherboot menu) works fine.

Best wishes
Olaf

--
Olaf Bahr