Re: Any solutions to TFTP weaknesses?

ACS,

    First let me pass on my configuration. I am using a Linux BootP server,
kernel 2.2.14-12, tftp-server 0.16-5 from Red Hat's RPM selection. The
client card is 3Com with a BootWare ROM.
    With that in mind, I don't have to do anything special to get TFTP to
fail, just try to boot. I have used a packet sniffer and found the following
result.

    Boot Request - client
    Boot Reply - host
    Boot Request - client
    Boot Reply - host
    TFTP Read Request - client
    TFTP Data Packet - host
    TFTP Ack. - client
.......this goes on for quite a while
    TFTP Data Packet - host
    TFTP Error Code - client
        TFTP
            Error Code (00 05)
            Code = Not defined (00 00)
            Error Message (00 00 6e 62 00 6f 63 74 65 74 00 00 00 00)

At this point the client hangs and the server stops sending data.

Reid