Any solutions to TFTP weaknesses?

Hi,

    I have now had complete success getting a netboot using the BootWare
BootP ROM (and as I said before would be happy to help other folks get going
with BootWare as well), but I have noticed that TFTP seems to die around 25%
of the time while trying to transfer the boot image. To be more specific,
TFTP starts the transfer of the image, but stops before the transfer is
complete. It doesn't appear to attempt to resume the transfer ever.
    I have trimed the boot image down to the minimum I can get away with (2
meg) and this helps, but TFTP still dies far more often than I would like.
Once I get the boot image over and loaded, I switch over to standard FTP for
the rest of my transfers from the host and this has been rock solid.
    I have read up on TFTP and it sounds like a very simple (and perhaps
somewhat weak) protocol. I assume there are not any alternatives to TFTP,
the protocal is burned into the ROM isn't it? Are there any workarounds or
other suggestions on how to make the startup more solid? Thanks.

Reid