Etherboot - mknbi-dos

I have Etherboot (4.6.2) loading Linux OK, but I can't load MS-DOS 6.22.

I followed the recipe in the HTML pages, and I can produce a floppy image
with IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM, RAMDRIVE.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, etc.

The floppy image works OK if I use dd to copy it onto a blank floppy, and
boot a PC from the floppy.
mknbi-dos  floppyimage > dos.nb produces a nb image without complaining.
Etherboot loads dos.nb then I see the following messages:

DOS Net Boot Image Loader Version 0.8.1 (mknbi-dos)
GPLed by G. Kuhlmann

Non-system disk or disk error
Replace and press any key when ready

Please can someone help me out here?