RTL8029 (NE PCI) Probing-Problem found !

So, I found the problem, I reported the bug 3 weeks ago.
I told that the NE-PCI probing hangs on my RTL8029AS nic.
It hangs on the end of the first pio_write call in the
probing.

Dirk von Suchodoletz told me, that with the old 4.4.x version
this probing runs ok. So I did a code comparison and found one
significant difference in the ns8390.c

#ifdef	INCLUDE_NS8390
	eth_flags |= FLAG_16BIT;	/* force 16-bit mode */
#endif

Thew problem is that the probing code 'defines' that the card has
to do data transfers in 16bit mode and pio_write and pio_read
depends their operation to this flag. But 'nobody' tells the chip,
that it 'must' use 16bit mode. I removed the code (#if 0..#endif),
and the etherboot for my card works well.

Why was this line added in version 4.6. Are there cards which
needs this data transfer mode in this state of initialisation ?

The problem with the Rtl8139 I have not debugged yet.

With friendly regards

	Christoph Plattner