Re: appropriate code for a GRUB-specific option

From: Christoph Plattner <christoph.plattner@alcatel.at>
Subject: Re: appropriate code for a GRUB-specific option
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 09:12:32 +0200

> We should consider, that a server admin has to define bootp (or dhcp)
> to allow diskless booting of grub.To define the boot file the
> 'bf=' option is used. So we should overthink, if we should not use
> another tag, which is normaly used and reserved, but which is not
> used in context of GRUB. For example the root-path 'rp='. Why can
> GRUB not have the root path for itself to find his own 'menu.lst' ?

  I don't think your idea is nice at all. Not only there is no
advantage of that, but also that would make the development
difficult. Have you thought of why it is important to comply with a
standard? The reason is not just that this ensures software
compatibility. When a programmer begins to develop a software package,
she expects that it should comply with some standards, not violating
them. If the implementation falls short of her expectation, she will
be confused and angry, and will say, "Oh hell! The maintainer is crazy
as a bedbug."

  There seems not to be any better idea, so I decide that we'll use
150 for GRUB (by default). Ken, if you don't like that, let me know
soon. Once we start using 150 actually, it would be hard to change it
later.

Okuji