Re: appropriate code for a GRUB-specific option

I never wanted and want to violate against standards. Standards are
the most important thing in my opinion and the basic for the
UNIX world.

My idea - if good or not - was to say that the root path 'rp=' is
seen as 'GRUB root path' holding the 'menu.lst' (if we follow standards,
then only the path has to be defined, not the file name 'menu.lst' as
it can be seen as fixed name). So my idea was - the system booting over
net must interprete for itself, what "root path" is.

I have not read the RFCs up to now, but the interpretation of the
root path is OS specific. A root for computer is - generally speaking -
a director or partiton on a server, which is accessed as root device
on the client (over NFS, perhaps over Netbios or whatever......)

The kernel or OS then finds the string and interpretes this as
"path" on the server.

GRUB also would do this. GRUB sees this as root for itself, where
stage1, stage2 and menu.lst are saved - in this case only 'menu.lst'
is saved. Do I violate a RFC standard in this way ?

If yes, please tell me, I am interested in strictly follow standards !!

Some word to tag 'T150' (code 150): As I experimented with tag 99, I
recognized, that not all codes can transport strings. Many of them
only accepst hexadecimal numbers. So I used '99' because this was an
example of the 'bootptab' manual page with the following lines
	<cut and paste>

	:

        # Special domain name server and option tags for next host
            butlerjct:ha=08002001560D:ds=128.2.13.42:\
                 :T37=0x12345927AD3BCF:\
                 :T99="Special ASCII string":\
                 :tc=.default:

So I saw - for my first test implementation - T99 works. I have not
tested 150, if it also can transport strings.

But it is a good idea to define the code *now* !

With friendly regards

	Christoph Plattner

--
  +--------V--------+	Christoph.Plattner@alcatel.at