Re: Re: Wake on Lan the SERVER from Boot-Rom ?

> This sounds like an interesting proposal. The only problem is that your
> Diskless Client (DC) would have to have the MAC address of the server
> somehow available for it's boot ROM - there is no way for the boot ROM
> discover the MAC address of the server without another server available.

I like to Hardware-encode the MAC addresses into the ROM, so I donīt need
an running server. I have two NICīs , one for use and one if the first will
fail later. So when I send the wol magic packet to two MAC adresses, it
shoud work for a long time. Of cause if the secound NIC fail too, I need to burn
new ROMīs, but this is OK for me.

> So, apart from that, I see no particular reason why it wouldn't be
> possible
> to hack the wol.c code into the boot ROM. Before you send out the bootp
> request packet, just broadcast the wol magic packet with the servers MAC
> address in it - then wait a couple of minutes for the server to boot up,
> then go on with the bootp request.

Nice to hear, it is posible. I think so, too. ;-)
But have you an idear, how to build a wol magic packet without an OS
running?

By,

Joachim