Re: FreeBSD build

Robert Williams wrote:

> At 17:40 13/03/00 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> >> "Makefile", line 158: Missing dependency operator
> >> "Makefile", line 160: Need an operator
> >> "Makefile", line 163: Need an operator
> >[...]
> >
> >Are you really using the right make?  I heard that there were at least some
> >BSD flavors out there that had the BSD make as 'make' and called GNU make
> >gmake or something like that.
> >
> >If you're really using the right make, then someone changed the conditional
> >support.  The docs haven't been updated in the release 3.78.1.
> >

> I feel you are hinting an earlier version would be better ?

No.  I just verified that GNU make 3.78.1 works perfectly for Etherboot.
I installed it and it just worked. And the source code doesn't even contain
the word "Missing" except in the .info files.  So we're back to the square
one: you are NOT using GNU make for whatever reason.  Another hint is the
message format: GNU make uses something like
Makefile:1: *** some error message

No quotes, no comma and three stars.  To nail it down furter, I just did a
"strings /usr/bin/pmake" (which is BSD make on Linux) - and guess what?  It
contains exactly the messages you got.

Klaus