Re: DR-DOS problem

Hi Fernando,

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Fernando Lozano wrote:

> I was the guy. You noticed that something changed on DR-DOS 7.03 boot
> sector and sent me a 720Kb floopy boot sector from DR-DOS 7.02. It
> worked, but a 720Kb disk is too small to include the Netware (VLM)
> client softare. I could not build a 1.44 boot from your boot sector, and
> as a boot floppy was ok for my needs, I stopped there: working with
> DR-DOS 7.03 and a boot floppy. But if someone can make a working
> etherboot from 7.03 I'd switch to it.

Find attached a DR-DOS v7.02 1.44M floppy boot block. Maybe it will be of
use for others too, so I put this to the list. I hope it doesn't hurt.
Make your 7.03 boot floppy, load with all the stuff you need, then:

dd if=bootsect.702 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1

and you're done.

On the other hand I prefer using the old (ems)netx shell instead of vlm's.
It's considerably faster. I made several tests and it showed that on our
crap 386 and 486 workstations it gave much faster result loading from the
net.

So now I use as follows:

LSL
PNPODI/ET32ODI depending on particular board
IPXODI
EMSNETX

On the side this method requires slightly less memory.

All this is only true if you use bindery to Netware (3.11/3.12 eg.). If
you insist on using NDS then you're out of luck. As I use mars netware
emulator and it can do bindery only, this method was perfect.

I hope this helps.

Sanyi

--
Sandor Dibuz  | email: ha3pg@rc1.pmmf.hu