Re: Netboot slow

> I have setup netboot on Celeron 333 system (48mb RAM) and I have 5 diskless
> clients with xwindow.

Is the Celeron 333 your master server for booting, X server for the
clients? Then you should increase the memory size at least 128MB. Every
client needs ca. 5 MB for the X connection, then the applications ... If
the clients are X terminals only, then 12 - 16 MB are sufficient.

If the Celeron is only the NFS server for your diskless X stations (all
processes are running on the client machines, then you can speed up the
nfs with more memory too, but you will need about 48 - 64 MB on your
clients.

> What are the parameteres to be considered in order to speed up the system ?
> I don't have any idea of upgading the hardware.
> When I load x-window on clients, it loads some unwanted programmes like
> syetem monitor and control pannel etc. How can I disable these?

Have a look on your start scripts (/usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession and there
your will find which user scripts will be executed with X login).

So long,
	   Dirk