Re: Question for LNE100TX and MX98715 Etherboot users

On 2/28/2000 10:27 AM Michael Rendell michael@cs.mun.ca wrote:
>Yes - I'm looking at a linksys lne100tx v2 card (lc82c115) with etherboot
>4.4.2.  The first packet is lost, causing the delay...

Michael, thanks very much for taking the time to help debug this.

I have done some more experimentation and have discoved that Tulip clones
vary widely in how much reset time they require.

The LNE100TX and MX98715 seem to require an eternity after a

   outl(0, ioaddr + CSR0); /* reset the card */

before they are able to transmit again.

LC82C168 cards on the other hand seem to require no time at all. Since
the reset section of the tulip code is common between cards, we have a
problem. I suppose I could conditionalize the wait-after-reset time, but
perhaps a slightly longer value will avoid the extra code complexity.

Would you (and anyone else using tulip/clone cards) be so kind as to
download ntulip-0.75b7 from http://www.thinguin.org/ and try that version
of ntulip.c on your card?  There should be a slight (3 sec) delay on
startup, but it should be much shorter than the TFTP timeout after the
first packet time-out.  The Linux kernel BOOTP request delay should be
the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/