Re: Lets try this again Help with bootp/dhcp

Brian Schramm wrote:

> I have writen to this list 4 times now to no avail.  So far the list
> server is not sending my mail through.  So here is my problem:
>
> I am running Debian Slink with bootpd of 2.4.3
> I am wanting to hook up a Sun Xterminal and a diskless PC onto my
> network.  I have dedicated my one server as a bootp server.  I am
> concentrating on the Sun at this time since I do not have a net card
> to boot from the network (boot rom) for the other machine yet.  I have
> tried several configurations from several different people and the
> HOWTO facts.  So far, no luck.  The server apears to not even here the
> Xterminal.  Statnet shows some rarp trafic.

If you are seeing rarp traffic, then my guess is that the Sun X-terminal
is using rarp and NOT bootp (or dhcp). This is certainly the case for
Sun workstations - I guess the X-terminal is the same.

You need to include rarp support into your kernel. If you can, try and
insmod (or modprobe) the rarp module:

insmod rarp

Otherwise, you can rebuild your kernel with built-in rarp support.

You also need to make sure that you have the rarp tools installed on
your server (check for a rarp command). The rarp command can load the
MAC address <-> IP number (or IP name) mappings from a file (/etc/ethers,
by default) or you can add them one by one using a script etc.

As far as I can recall, booting a Sun from the net involves:

Sun sends rarp request
server sends back rarp response
Sun sends TFTP request to the rarp server
server sends back the "boot loader" using TFTP
Sun bootloader sends a "bootparam" request to server
server sends back a bootparam response (you will need to have a bootparamd set
up)
Sun loads appropriate kernel using NFS (I think) and away you go

Its a bit more complex than what Etherboot does and a bit more Sun specific.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.