tftp and fixed ip address

Hi all

I am trying to skip the bootp step in diskless booting and hardwire the
network parameters in the etherboot source code itself. Things go fine
when I do the diskless boot with the TFTP server on the same LAN.

However, when the TFTP server lies beyond a gateway, things dont work.
Running tcpdump on the LAN the diskless machine sits shows that the
diskless machine is issuing tftp requests to the tftp server. running
tcpdump on the tftp server shows the tftp server receiving the packets and
replying to them, but there is no sign of these packets on the LAN of the
diskless PC.

The routing setup on the tftp server is fine, because I am able to tftp
the kernel from an ordinary linux workstation on the same LAN as the
diskless machine.

Could anybody tell me where the problem lies?

Thanks in advance
S. Arun