Re: patch to ntulip.c

On 2/4/2000 8:42 AM Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards@anu.edu.au wrote:
>The following patch to ntulip.c from Etherboot-4.4.2 is the result of
>several days pouring over DEC 21143 and SROM manuals and implements
>the automatic selection of the MII interface on cards using the Intel/
>DEC 21143 reference design, in particular, the TRENDnet TE100-PCIA NIC.

Bob, thank you very much for doing this!  I downloaded the PDFs of the
21143 last week to get an Asante card with a 21143 to work with Etherboot
(it doesn't have a ROM socket, unfortunately, but knowing that it works
from floppy would be good).

>I can't see how the "standard" ntulip driver can support 100BaseTx
>on any DEC tulip board - it seems to insist on using the internal
>10BaseT-only interface. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The Etherboot tulip.c driver doesn't support 100BaseTx with DEC21143 at
all, to the best of my knowledge.  There are comments in the code that
suggest that SROM/MII support was not finished.

I added support in ntulip.c for several 10/100 tulip clone cards,
including the MX987x5, the LC82C115 (aka LNE100TX), and the LC82C168 (aka
FA310TX).  They don't have SROM, so media selection is simplified.  I was
about to see about integrating the Linux SROM parsing code to handle
21143-like boards.

>Can Marty and/or Ken include this patch into the next Etherboot release?

Ken's the maintainer, but I will certainly be happy to test your patch,
and see if it works with my AsanteFast 10/100 card.

Thanks again for your efforts!

Regards,

Marty (Live from LinuxExpo New York City! :-)

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/