A postcard from Linux Expo

Hello all,

This week I am at LinuxExpo in New York City, USA, so haven't been
hacking Etherboot, but have had a nice time here.

I spoke to several embedded systems and cluster people at the Expo about
Etherboot.  One popular thing to do these days is for ISPs to rent out
space on racks for people to put web/mail/ftp servers.  It's a
high-profit business for ISPs, now that DSL and cable modems are
squeezing the margins for connectivity products.

The unit of measure for rack space is called the "U", which seems to be
about 1.5inches tall or so.  So, you will see people advertising 1U
servers and 2U servers.  It's pretty amazing to see the inside of the
box.  It's basically a motherboard, power supply, and peripherals, all
less than 1U tall.

I was talking to one fellow who had a nice server box, and was using a
Disk-on-a-chip flash to boot the box, because his client didn't want
moving parts. I of course suggested Etherboot as another possible
solution, since all the servers were already networked, he could boot
them all from a single machine, and save the cost of the
"disk-on-a-chip", and have no state on the client.  This could allow him
to be more competitive when building his boxes.  He was quite interested,
and said he'd check out Etherboot.  He had an Intel eepro100b card in the
machine, and was very impressed that it was possible to flash the card
with Etherboot code.

The show had many embedded systems vendors, there was an interesting mix
of large and small companies.

I made it to New York just in time to see the Linux Terminal Server
Project (http://www.LTSP.org/) give their talk on implementing diskless
workstations with Linux.  They use Etherboot for booting their
workstations, and it was nice to see a talk using the technology.  They
used a laptop as their server, and a small PC as the client, and it made
a very effective demonstration.  Congratulations to Jim McQuillan and Ron
Colcernian on a fine talk.
I look forward to the August LinuxExpo in California.

New York is an interesting city.  Buildings are so large, I got the
feeling of being very tiny in comparison.  People seemed to be everywhere
in the city.  I walked a few  miles to get a flavor of the city, got some
honey-roasted cashews, and was amazed with the giant electronic displays
in Times Square.  I found the people in general to be very "alive" and
direct, and it was easy to read their intentions.  Boston people tend to
be less direct, so it was somewhat refreshing to have animated
conversations with cab drivers and waiters and feel safe that no feelings
would be bruised.  (it was also fun to watch Jim McQuillan eat a 6 pound
lobster at dinner on Thursday night! :-)

There were many book publishers here, and as I am writing a book on
implementing thin clients, I was interested in what they had to offer.
The amount and quality of information available about Linux and
open-source software seems to be increasing very nicely.  There seems to
be real value in good documentation, this should only increase as Linux
becomes more prevalent in the workplace. I also forsee a sharp rise in
the number of sys admin positions, and technologies such as Etherboot
will allow them to be more efficient.

So that's it for now.  It was an interesting trip, and I look forward to
the next conference.  Seeing applications of open-source technlogy is
quite refreshing.

Regards,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/