21143 and Etherboot

OK, I have now tried hard for several days to get my TRENDnet PCI NIC
with Intel 21143 and TI TNETE2101 SIA working with both ntulip and
tulip in Etherboot 4.4.2 without any success.

Both ntulip and tulip can find the card with no worries, and both try
sending out the DHCP requests, but neither actually appear to be
getting the NIC to transmit anything on the wire. I am fairly certain
that this is a transceiver selection bug, but I don't know how to
fix it. I have tried watching the wire, but it only makes sense to
get it working at 100BaseTX FD, which I can only do through a switch,
hence it is harder to isolate and check. However, I have been "tcpdump"ing
for broadcasts from that card, and haven't seen a thing on the wire.

Has anyone had any success in getting Etherboot to work on this
combination of controller and SIA? Anyone got any clues on what I should
try next? The NIC works under Linux with the de4x5 driver, but not with
the kernel-distributed tulip driver (I haven't tried it with a new
tulip from Donald's site yet).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.