Re: nknbi-linux --append

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 10:10:09AM +0100, Michael Hierweck wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> this is a little bit off topic, but:
>
> >   Current Linux kernels can autodetect memory past 64M, unless, of course
> > there is something in the way. Like the 16M memory hole, or maybe an AGP
> > aperture at 64M? Check through that bios for such suspicious memory
> > anomilies.
>
> I've got a 128 MB dless-workstation and the AGP-Aperture is set to 64 MB
> by default.
> Since it did not detect all 128 MB but 64 MB I added mem=128M to the
> append
> line. Then linux works fine. But I sometimes have strange effects with
> my AGP-Card...
> What does AGP-Aperture mean and to what value should I set it?
  The AGP aperture is where the AGP memory and registers get mapped to. If
your forcing Linux to use memory through that aperture then anything in that
range(64-68M, etc) will actually be stored in your videoram. Obviously this
could be VERY bad if your using your videoram for video and Linux still
thinks that it has machine code there.  You always want your video apertures
above the real ram. So if you have 128M of ram, your AGP aperture should be
no lower that 128M.
  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org