Re: RTL-Poll Error and <sleep> for ever

> Could you try adding the following option in Config:
>
> #       -DCONGESTED     - turns on packet retransmission.  Use it on a
> #                         congested network, where the normal operation
> #                         can't boot the image.

Will do ...

> >> Also, you can run 'tcpdump' in order to see what's going on in the
> >> conversation between the server and client.
>
> >Its difficult because we have a large network with over 150 clients, but I
> >will try to seperate a client and server ...
>
> Sometimes you can do:
>
>    /usr/sbin/tcpdump -n | grep 192.168.2.100
>
> (or whatever your IP address is) to see a particular conversation.

But if the client gets never its address ?

> >The Ctrl-Alt-Delete works fine (the switching ob NUM-Lock during the boot
> >prozess too). We use three types of RTL cards: Longshine, LanTech and
> >another NoName brand, with RTL8139 (A/B). But the all have the same
> >problem.
>
> Sounds like it might be a network-related issue.  It's hard to tell.  Are
> these cards at 100mb or 10mb?  Does this happen even if the network is
> quiet?

Yes its happen even if its quiet. The same with 10 and 100Mbit. All my
clients are at the moment on a 100Mbit Switch directly connected ...

> >Our older clients with NE2K (PCI), SMC and 3C509 are working better...
>
> Interesting. So sometimes they boot and sometimes they don't. tcpdump
> should help us determine where the difficulty is.

All these older clients (486/586) normally share a hub per 4 to 7 clients
on a 10Mbit network.

Thanks,
	 Dirk