Re: 3c905c support needed for etherboot

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Greg Beeley wrote:

> > >What is needed to make the 3c905c etherbootable? Given that there is linux
> > >driver source, I would think it wouldn't be too hard...

ARGH! Driver source? How about specs? 3Com seems pretty good about them.
Really, we should insist _all_ companies provide GOOD specs for their
products.

> 3com said they were shipping the 3c905c documentation to me.  As soon as I
> get that documentation I'll be able to have a fairly good idea regarding
> the scope of the project.  If someone else who actually has a 3c905c
> would like to write the updated driver, that would be great also as I
> don't know at what point we'll actually need to purchase more network
> computers (and thus probably start using 3c905c instead of 3c905b).  But
> nevertheless I'm hoping to be able to give anyone who is interested a
> good idea of what needs to be done to make it work, or do it myself when
> the time comes (which may not be as soon as some of you all might need).

I have no coding time, but I do have access to this card. I don't know all
of the magical revision info. Bill Paul's xl driver from FreeBSD does
work, as does the linux driver, but I'm not sure what needs doing.

However, I'm willing to test someone's code, and I could try to hack it a
bit.

Gerald.