Re: Netgear FA310TX LC82C169 Lite-On PNICs

Marty Connor wrote:

> On 1/6/2000 2:17 AM Robert.Edwards@anu.edu.au Bob Edwards wrote:
> >Ken Yap wrote:
> >>It's a Tulip clone and I imagine some hacking of ntulip.c is required.
> >Actually, I use several of these and they work fine with tulip.c (no
> >hacking required). The socket can be added but all the holes need to
> >be opened up first (with a solder sucker). Might be easier to add the
> >Etherboot code to the mainboard BIOS.
>
> Bob, can you take a look at one of your FA310TX boards and see what model
> ethernet controller chip you've got?  I think they may have changed on us.
>
> I just tried using ntulip and tulip (adjusting for PCI signature) with
> the NetGear FA310TX board I just bought, and it appears I'll need to hack
> the MAC address retrieval code as it comes out 00:00:00:00:00:00.
>
> What I think is happening is that the FA310TX that I have is using an
> LC82C169 chip, which is different enough from the LC82C115 chip used by
> the LinkSyS LNE100TX board that code changes are required.
>
> I just checked Don Becker's beta 0.91g Linux tulip.c code, and sure
> enough he's got special case MAC address retrieval (and other) code for
> the LC92C168 (which has the same PCI sig apparently as the LC92C169).
>
> I hope to be able to hack on this over the weekend.  Please let me know
> which etherboot release you're using and what controller chip is on your
> card, so I know that I'm on the right track.  Many thanks.
>
> Yow!  Are we having fun yet? :-)

Sorry, I have inadvertently misled you. I have several Netgear FA310TX
boards running under _linux_ with the standard tulip.c driver (in linux
version 2.2.10). I haven't got it going under Etherboot (haven't tried
yet). It has the LC92C169C chip on it, but no socket for a boot rom, and
no WOL capability (which are essential for my application).

I am working on getting a Trendnet (Trendwear) card based on the Intel
tulip card going with etherboot, which does have provision for WOL and
doesn't cost much more, but I am having trouble with selecting the
appropriate media adaptor, which makes WOL and networking booting a bit
problematic.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bob Edwards.