Netgear FA310TX LC82C169 Lite-On PNICs

On 1/6/2000 2:17 AM Robert.Edwards@anu.edu.au Bob Edwards wrote:
>Ken Yap wrote:
>>It's a Tulip clone and I imagine some hacking of ntulip.c is required.
>Actually, I use several of these and they work fine with tulip.c (no
>hacking required). The socket can be added but all the holes need to
>be opened up first (with a solder sucker). Might be easier to add the
>Etherboot code to the mainboard BIOS.

Bob, can you take a look at one of your FA310TX boards and see what model
ethernet controller chip you've got?  I think they may have changed on us.

I just tried using ntulip and tulip (adjusting for PCI signature) with
the NetGear FA310TX board I just bought, and it appears I'll need to hack
the MAC address retrieval code as it comes out 00:00:00:00:00:00.

What I think is happening is that the FA310TX that I have is using an
LC82C169 chip, which is different enough from the LC82C115 chip used by
the LinkSyS LNE100TX board that code changes are required.

I just checked Don Becker's beta 0.91g Linux tulip.c code, and sure
enough he's got special case MAC address retrieval (and other) code for
the LC92C168 (which has the same PCI sig apparently as the LC92C169).

I hope to be able to hack on this over the weekend.  Please let me know
which etherboot release you're using and what controller chip is on your
card, so I know that I'm on the right track.  Many thanks.

Yow!  Are we having fun yet? :-)

Regards,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/