Re: Netgear FA310TX

On 1/7/2000 1:59 PM cjames@msi.com Craig A. James wrote:
>I just subscribed to this group, so apologies if this is a repeat
>question.  Is there an Etherboot driver for the Netgear FA310TX card, or
>is anyone working on one?

Funny you should ask :-) we were just discussing this today. Here's the
URL of a message in the netboot archives that I sent on the subject.

     http://www.han.de/~gero/netboot/archive/msg02531.html

There was a report that the tulip driver in the Etherboot package may
work for with some FA310TXs, but it didn't work for the one I just bought.

What companies will sometimes do is to change the hardware on the card,
but keep the product name the same.  They just ship different drivers
with the cards, and most people never notice. I've taken to naming driver
output 'mx98715.rom' or "lc82c115.rom" because several companies use the
chip on their cards, and the driver chip often seems more relevant that
product names like "warm and fuzzy ethernet card" or "wiener-ware 10/100
fast".  I literally bought 4 different rtl8139-based cards under 4
different brands! (Accton, SMC, Allied-Telesyn, and D-Link).

Anyway, the short answer is that the FA310TX is a tulip clone, and the
tulip.lzrom driver might work, or might not;  If you could do me the
favor of take a look at your FA310TX card and sending in what is printed
on the controller chip (the big square one), that would be a help.

We should get this sorted out soon.

Regards,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/