Re: Making a floppy fails?

Ken Yap writes:

| >The makefile seems to imply that 'cat floppyboot.bin eepro.rom >fd0'
| >is the recipe to create a boot floppy with my desired boot.  I realize
| >that the eepro's that I have are capable of booting, but I've given up
| >on that for the momment --- things that appear to support this don't
| >support a FreeBSD kernel.
|
| Sorry, I have only a Linux environment. You could send me the appropriate
| command for FreeBSD and I will include it in the next release..

I suggest you grab my port in the the FreeBSD ports collection
	usr/ports/net/etherboot
BTW you should try the latest version that just got commited.  You can
get it from the FreeBSD ftp server.

Then cd into the work/etherboot*/src-32 directory and do a gmake eepro100.fd0
and you should have a bootable floppy.  This is how I make them.  My port
with turn on the options for booting FreeBSD a.out & ELF kernels.  Also
it build a version of gas that supports the data32 stuff.

| >Anyways... I have catted together floppyboot.bin and eepro.rom into a
| >single image.  I have then tried both cat and dd to put them on a
| >floppy.  When this floppy is booted, it continuously cycles some hex
| >(looks like address) data.
| >
| >Any clues on offer?
|
| Bad floppy?

That's my guess ... I've run into before with some floppies.

Doug A.