Re: via-rhine

On 12/18/1999 12:00 AM kimo_sabe@atdot.org kimo_sabe@atdot.org wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, jyllyj wrote:
>> we are using netboot-0.8.1 also.You need to have a packet driver for the
>> card.Usually it comes with the card you purchased.Then you can download
>> netboot and it should work. I know others in here are more expert than me.
>> I got all those from this list.

>Packet drivers don't help for booting from an actual rom. Thanks anyway.

I thought that the beauty of the netboot package was that it used packet
drivers so would work with a wider selection of cards.  Is it just this
particular card that won't work, or is there a class of cards that
netboot doesn't work with?

I use the etherboot package, mainly, but want to understand netbooting in
general, which is why I am asking.

From: http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/#History

"... Netboot and Etherboot have their strengths and weaknesses. Netboot
supports a wider range of NICs because packet drivers are available for
most cards. On the down side, Netboot is not autoprobing because the
packet drivers require that the I/O address, IRQ and possibly the memory
address be specified at ROM creation time. Thus a ROM is specific to a
particular card configuration. ..."

What am I missing?

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/